Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a ham that my wife makes for our family on special occasions. It is very delicious served on hot butter milk biscuits with juices from ham.
- 14 lbs bone-in cooked smoked ham
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup bourbon whiskey
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dijon-style mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Do not skin ham.
- Trim fat to 1/2-inch thick and score.
- In bowl mix sugar with bourbon.
- Brush 1/3 over ham.
- Bake 1-1/2 hours, basting twice with remaining sugar mixture.
- Add 1/4 cup water to pan after 1 hour so drippings won't burn.
- In bowl, mix pepper with mustard.
- Brush ham with drippings then with mustard.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Add water to pan as necessary to keep drippings from burning.
- Let ham stand 15 minutes.
- Baste with drippings and slice.
Mt T, I can not believe that nobody has rated this is 4 yrs. We thought it was fabulous, with a depth of flavor unrivaled in recipes that tell you to baste with a can of sprite. Not sure which added more, the bourbon or the dijon mustard? We did use a 8 lb ham and reduced everything else by half except the water. We found we needed to add much more than the recipe called for to keep the drippings moist. Will make again numerous times. Can't wait for the soup we will make tomorrow with the leftovers.