- 3 ounces margarine or 3 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 2 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, golden syrup and sugar over low heat.
- Sift flour, ginger, and mixed spice into a bowl.
- Dissolve baking soda in a little water.
- Add to ingredients in saucepan.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry to form a dough.
- Cover bowl and leave at least 1 hour.
- Roll out thinly and cut into shapes (traditionally men on horseback).
- Bake in moderate oven about 15 minutes.
- When biscuits are cold decorate with lemon peel, icing and currants.