2 hrs 15 mins
Nine 1/2 fingers's Note:
This soup is great especially in the fall or winter. My Mother Ina was a great cook and I'm happy I can reproduce some of her best recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Empty split peas from package,; wash and check for foreign matter.
- 2Cut carrots, celery, bacon and onion into 1/4-inch dice; set aside.
- 3Peel and quarter potato; set aside.
- 4Add Bacon to 6 quart pot and over medium heat stir and fry until crispy.
- 5Remove Bacon and discard all but a teaspoon of bacon fat.
- 6Add onions and cook until caramelized.
- 7Add 4 quarts water and split peas to the pot on high flame; bring to boil.
- 8Turn down flame to low to medium.
- 9Add potato and rinsed ham hocks.
- 10Cook approximately 1 hour or until potato is almost done.
- 11Add celery and carrots.
- 12Cook an additional 20-30 minutes.
- 13Take the ham hocks out of the pot and remove the meat.
- 14Take your potato masher and mash the potato to thicken the soup.
- 15Add the ham hock meat.
- 16Stir this soup occasionally as the peas tend to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- 17Do not add salt and pepper as ham hocks may be salty enough.
- 18Serve with croutons.
- 19Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hollandse Erwten (Split Pea) Soup
Serving Size: 1 (671 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 648.0
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 12.8 mg
- Sodium 236.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 40.5 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 40.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: