Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This soup is great especially in the fall or winter. My Mother Ina was a great cook and I'm happy I can reproduce some of her best recipes.
- 2 (16 ounce) packages split peas
- 1 medium onion (medium to large)
- 3 large carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 large baking potato
- 1⁄4 lb bacon
- 2 large ham hocks, cut in half by the butcher
- 4 quarts water
- Empty split peas from package,; wash and check for foreign matter.
- Cut carrots, celery, bacon and onion into 1/4-inch dice; set aside.
- Peel and quarter potato; set aside.
- Add Bacon to 6 quart pot and over medium heat stir and fry until crispy.
- Remove Bacon and discard all but a teaspoon of bacon fat.
- Add onions and cook until caramelized.
- Add 4 quarts water and split peas to the pot on high flame; bring to boil.
- Turn down flame to low to medium.
- Add potato and rinsed ham hocks.
- Cook approximately 1 hour or until potato is almost done.
- Add celery and carrots.
- Cook an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Take the ham hocks out of the pot and remove the meat.
- Take your potato masher and mash the potato to thicken the soup.
- Add the ham hock meat.
- Stir this soup occasionally as the peas tend to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Do not add salt and pepper as ham hocks may be salty enough.
- Serve with croutons.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Not that great, I've had better.
Yes Gerry, this is absolutely great! My family says it's the best split pea soup I've ever made and I have to agree. Out of necessity I had to make one change....my butcher was out of ham hocks but he suggested his own smoked pork ribs, so I used those and the result was really great! I didn't know what to do with the bacon after removing it in step #6 but my husband solved that problem by eating it. Thanks Gerry, great soup
Ah, Dutch pea soup. Went to the German butcher and bought 2 huge ham hocks, and rolled my sleaves up and made your wonderful soup. Tasted the finished result tonight, and can't wait for Erwten soup tomorrow - must keep some for my Dutch housekeeper for Tuesday, she'll love it too. Thank you for sharing this wonderful tasty recipe with us.