Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Use a good baking apple for this old favorite such as Granny Smith, Jonathan, Cortland, Empire or Winesap. Cooling time not included in preparation time. From the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter (no substitutions)
- 1 egg
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 8-inch cake pan.
- Sift flour with baking powder and salt.
- Cut in butter.
- Beat egg, add milk and stir quickly into flour mixture.
- Place apples decoratively in the prepared cake pan, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon; spread dough over the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Loosen cake from sides and bottom and turn out onto a cake plate immediately.
- Serve with the dessert sauce of your choice; cinnamon, maple, butterscotch, brandy or lemon.
Wonderful flavor, lemon sauce was a big hit, plus whipped cream. Yum! EASY to make. Not too sweet. Just right. I used Ginger Crisp apples. They softened right up. I didn't get the caramelized apple flavor mentioned by Brandess. Was that because my apples were too juicy?
am baking this for a apple dessert contest at our senior center, have made this for my family and it's a favorite,been trying the sauces to go with and so far the maple and cinnamon are a favorite(I like the lemon) I used a variety of the apples..good stuff!
I made this recipe exactly as written with one deviation: I baked the cake in an 8" round cake pan. This recipe is a snap to put together and cost me about $7.00. I made this incredibly aromatic cake for a neighbor and was able to have a slice with them. This cake has a medium density texture, which is moist and flavorful. The apples have a wonderful caramelized, not too sweet flavor. The baking time is just right, as the apples have a slight al dente' bite that is very pleasing to the palette. After about an hour, I returned home from delivering the cake. I opened the door to the most delicious aroma of the cake! Gone are the days when you bake cookies for an open house- now you bake Molly's Dutch Apple Cake!