My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1If clarifying your own butter, make sure it's cooled to lukewarm.
- 2If using already clarified butter, warm it to liquefy.
- 3Place egg yolks and wine in a double boiler (or in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water).
- 4Whisk vigorously until the mixture is very pale and the whisk leaves a trail, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture is the same temperature as the butter, about 30 seconds.
- 6Whisking constantly, add butter to the egg mixture a drop at a time at first and gradually increasing to a steady stream.
- 7When fully incorporated, stir in the water and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- 8Serve immediately, or keep warm over a pan of simmering water removed from heat.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hollandaise Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1217.0
- Calories from Fat 1185
- Total Fat 131.7 g
- Saturated Fat 80.9 g
- Cholesterol 744.9 mg
- Sodium 34.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 6.7 g