Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups clarified butter
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- coarse salt
- cayenne pepper
- If clarifying your own butter, make sure it's cooled to lukewarm.
- If using already clarified butter, warm it to liquefy.
- Place egg yolks and wine in a double boiler (or in a heat-proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water).
- Whisk vigorously until the mixture is very pale and the whisk leaves a trail, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat; continue whisking until mixture is the same temperature as the butter, about 30 seconds.
- Whisking constantly, add butter to the egg mixture a drop at a time at first and gradually increasing to a steady stream.
- When fully incorporated, stir in the water and lemon juice, and season to taste with salt and cayenne pepper.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm over a pan of simmering water removed from heat.