Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Serve with steamed asparagus, lightly cooked fresh vegetables or poached seafood, such as salmon. Note: If sauce starts to separate, add 1 tablespoon boiling water, beating constantly. It is also possible to beat another egg yolks in a bowl and beat the separated mixture into the egg yolk; return to double boiler.
- 3 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup butter, diced and at room temperature
- white pepper
- paprika or cayenne pepper, if desired
- In top of double boiler over low heat, whisk egg yolks, water and lemon juice until fluffy. Check water in bottom of double boiler so it doesn't touch bottom of top half or boil.
- Add butter, piece by piece, making sure each piece is incorporated before adding the next; continue until all butter has been used.
- Season with salt and white pepper, sprinkling with paprika or red pepper, if desired.
- Pour into warm serving dish and serve at once.
Easy to make, great, clear directions but there was too much lemon for our tastes. I will be trying this again but will make some adjustments next time. Thank you!