Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Cooking Light. I have to admit that I used a frozen pie crust (I did NOT pre-bake it) and also made a full fat version of this recipe, using heavy cream and 2 whole eggs. I would recommend to cut the asparagus instead of using them whole and if you have fresh tarragon...go for it.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons ice water
- cooking spray
- 1 lb asparagus spear, trimmed
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse 3 times or until combined. Add shortening; pulse 6 times or until mixture resembles coarse meal. With processor on, add ice water through food chute, processing just until combined. Gently press mixture into a 6-inch circle on a lightly floured surface; roll dough into an 12-inch circle. Fit dough into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray; fold edges under, and flute. Pierce bottom and sides of dough with a fork; bake at 450° for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a knife or vegetable peeler, if desired. Steam asparagus, covered, 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Rinse asparagus under cold water; drain well. Arrange asparagus spokelike in prepared crust with tips toward inside of crust. Combine milk, rind, juice, tarragon, salt, egg, and egg white; stir well with a whisk. Pour over asparagus; sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until puffy and lightly browned. Serve warm.