Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
I came up with the idea of combining the yams and apples when I had all four generations for dinner one Thanksgiving. Everyone loved it from GreatGrandmas on down to my (then) 2 year old granddaughter.
- 5 medium yams or 3 large yams or 3 large sweet potatoes
- 2 apples, i use granny smith
- 4 -5 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, that have been soaked in
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Add yams to a pot of boiling water, cover and after allowing water to return to a boil, cook for 30-35 minutes.
- Rinse in cold water.
- Remove the skins from the yams.
- Cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Quarter the apples and cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- Spray a large rectangular or oblong pan with cooking spray of your choice.
- Layer the yams and the apples.
- Pour the orange juice over both layers.
- Dot with butter or margarine if desired.
- Top with the raisins.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- You can adjust these amounts to your own personal preference.
- Bake at 350º for 30-35 minutes.
Great easy recipe. I peeled the Yam, sliced it into 1/4" slices then boiled it - took 8 minutes. Then assembled the casserole. It was so easy doing it this way. The yams came out perfect - Definite do again recipe I didn't add the raisins because I was serving Raisin sauce with the ham steaks so I have that to look forward to another time