1/1 Photo of Holiday Yam Bake
A shameless rework of #37319 "Sweet Potato Casserole", this is a sweet treat that will make you want this for both dinner and dessert! Probably would make a fantastic pie. If you like candied yams or pumpkin pie, you will consume this with a quickness.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 yams (I used 3 yams, each being bigger than the average potato.)
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1Peel the yams, cut them up in large pieces for boiling.
- 2Boil the yams in a large pot for 30 minutes or until tender.
- 3Drain and mash with mixer.
- 4Add in eggs, butter, milk, sugar, vanilla. Beat until creamy.
- 5Pour into 9x13 baking dish.
- 6Bake 20 minutes at 400 degrees f.
- 7While the top is baking, crush 12 Lorna Doone cookies. You want bits and pieces, not dust.
- 8Melt 1/2 cup butter.
- 9Combine crushed cookies, brown sugar, pecans and melted butter. I suggest not using a mixer. The idea is to get the ingredients mixed, but not processed into mud. Just get the stuff mixed up.
- 10Remove the casserole from oven at the end of the first baking time.
- 11Distribute the topping carefully over the top of the casserole. There will likely not be sufficient topping to cover it all. No problem. Get out some mini marshmallows and cover the top to suit your liking. I ended using two cups worth.
- 12Return the casserole to the oven for a maximum of 5 minutes. I recommend keeping a wary eye on it to remove it should the marshmallows start burning. Some folks like marshmallows toasted dark, so of course, you will want to let this go according to your preferences.
- 13When done, we covered the casserole with foil and drove across town to have Thanksgiving dinner with family. The casserole remained very hot the entire time, and was just perfect to serve up thereafter.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Yam Bake
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 666.1
- Calories from Fat 413
- Total Fat 45.9 g
- Saturated Fat 25.8 g
- Cholesterol 169.8 mg
- Sodium 248.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 58.6 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: