Recipe by ARathkamp
Every holiday season I always make several different of batches of spritz cookies, but this variation is my favorite. The kids always help make the cookies and is becoming a tradition in our home. Prep time includes chill time and cooking time assumes 15 minutes per dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 ounces fat free cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract, pure not imitation
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 dozen red maraschino cherries
- 1⁄4 cup decorator sugar, green color (or enough to coat cookies)
Directions See How It's Made
- With an electric mixer (can be done by hand, but it's a lot of work!), cream butter & cream cheese until light.
- Add the granulated sugar to butter blend and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, and almond extract.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and salt).
- Gradually blend in flour with creamed butter mixture.
- Chill dough for minimum 4 hours.
- After dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350°F.
- Add chilled dough to cookie press, use wreath shaping disc.
- Press cookies onto lightly greased cookie sheet or baking stone (baking stone recommended).
- Sprinkle green decorator sugar (granulated) over cookies.
- Add 1 cherry in middle of each wreath.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until slightly browned. Do not over bake
- Let cool on wire cooling rack before serving.