Recipe by Liz2
A bit more involved than just boiling the little orange blighters; but well worth the time! I sometimes add a few parsnips, which provides a nice variation. Watch out, though; they're tougher than the carrots and can be a little tough to puree, so make sure you cook them long enough.
- 3 lbs carrots, chopped
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 orange, zest of
- . 5 lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces at room temperature
- 1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced (3 inches)
- 1 orange, juice of
- . 5 lemon, juice of
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the carrots in water with the 4 tablespoons of sugar until very soft.
- Drain and strain through a mouli or a sieve.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining ingredients in a pan over a low heat until the butter is melted.
- Beat the hot liquid into the carrots, season to taste (they can take quite a lot of salt), and serve.