Recipe by LexiGirl 2
This is the most amazing tasting Wassail. It's perfect for a holiday party or a cold winter night. It’s like drinking hot apple pie that warms your tummy and lifts your spirits. Although it’s a big undertaking to cook, you won’t be disappointed, especially when everyone is complimenting you on making something that tastes so delicious. Make sure you serve it warm. Because this takes a while to put together, I usually make it the night before and pour the mixture into bottles/containers so I can transport it easily. I guessed at the number of servings but its always been enough for the parties I've been to where there have been 25 or more people.
- 1 gallon unfiltered apple cider
- 2 cups peeled baked apples, golden delicious works good
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 allspice berries
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups cream sherry
- 1⁄2-1 cup brandy
- 3 eggs, separated into egg whites and yokes
Directions See How It's Made
- In one saucepan, heat: 1 gallon unfiltered apple cider and 2 cups baked (peeled apples) cut into medium small pieces
- In another saucepan, boil for 5 minutes: water, sugar, nutmeg, ginger, mace, cloves, allspice berries and cinnamon sticks.
- In another saucepan, boil: cream sherry and brandy.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix until firm - stiff but not dry: 3 egg whites.
- In a large mixing bowl – mix until creamy: 3 egg yokes – light in color.
- Now fold egg whites into egg yokes and add spice mixture a little at a time, stirring constantly.
- Next add booze
- Next add cider mixture.
- Serve warm. I’ve served it in a punch bowl and in a large pot on the stove. Right before serving, I usually take out the allspice berries and cloves so people don’t choke on them. If I find out that the wassail has cooled down, I re-heat it.