Prep 0 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a wonderful recipe that MaMere made every year at Christmastime.
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 2 cups raisins
- 1 orange
- 4 cups walnuts
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grease 10" tube pan.
- Cut wax paper to fit bottom of pan, insert, grease and flour.
- Pour sherry on raisins.
- Heat oven to 275.
- Chop walnuts, grate orange and squeeze juice from orange.
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt and nutmeg, save 1/4 c of flour for nuts & raisins.
- Beat eggs until thick.
- Cream butter and sugar add in beaten eggs.
- Drain raisins (reserving liquid) and combine with nuts and the 1/4 c flour.
- Add juice of orange & sherry alternately with dry ingredients, combine all with the creamed butter/sugar/egg mixture and stir in vanilla.
- Add floured nuts and raisins last.
- Bake for 2 hours.
- Cool thoroughly before removing from tube pan.
Hello from Portugal! I do wish I could give you more than 5 stars, because in my humble opinion I do beleive it deserves much more. I couldn't find molasses where I live, so I just subsituted with honey, I also added in some cinnamon about 1 1/2 teaspoons, and it came out just lovely. Your mom must of taught you well. Thank you so much for posting, this is a cake I will be making often!!!!!!!!!!!!
Made this when my son & DIL were over for a vegetarian dinner, & gifted them half of it to take back home ~ The other half was devoured by the 4 of us! I'm not usually one for using that amount of walnuts in anything, but here it worked very well! This is certainly a cake I'll be happy to make again ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in New Kids on the Block tag]