Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I like the combination of flavors in this salad.
- 1 (3 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup ice cube
- 1⁄4 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups diced unpeeled red apples
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped nuts
- Dissolve jello in boiling water; add lemon juice and salt.
- Combine cold water and ice to make 1 cup.
- Add to jello, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Whisk in salad dressing.
- Chill until thickened.
- Fold in apples, celery and nuts.
- Chill until firm.
I made a 4 serving diabetic version and simply loved it. I used Jello Lite (sugar free) and 2 tbsp of reduced fat mayo in place of Miracle Whip because I like it better and skipped the salt (it wasn't missed at all. I must say that what really made it excel was the tsp of lemon juice. It intensified the flavor and brightened it right up. I'd go so far as to call this comfort food because my mother and grandmother made a lot of molded fruit salads. I'll be using this again with many different flavors of Jello and types of fruit.