Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Got this one from my mother-in-law, but I added seasonings & veggies. This a great "box car" recipe and gives you a way to use turkey up without everyone getting tired of turkey. Do not use a turkey carass that has been brined or smoked, it's just to salty.
- 1 turkey carcass (meat removed from Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner)
- 1 bay leaf
- turkey broth
- 2 -3 cups cut up turkey meat
- 1 cup dry barley
- 1⁄2 cup dry rice (brown preferred)
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 cups water (filtered preferred)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt (sea salt preferred)
- 4 -6 pressed garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 -3 chopped celery ribs
- Cover turkey carass with with the 12 cups of water and add the bay leaf. Bring to boil, then cook on low for 1 to 2 hours. Let cool, remove carass & bay leaf & skim the fat.
- Bring broth to boil and add barley, salt, pepper, poulty seasoning.
- Once barley has been started, cook rice in a separate pot.
- After barley has cooked for about 40 minutes, add turkey & all remaining veggies. Cook an additional 20 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice. Serves a crowd & is even better the second day. Freezes great as well.