Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep3 hrs 30 mins
I have no idea where this recipe originated but I received it from a late family member and I have never tasted another sugar cookie like it. The recipe calls for vanilla and almond extract but you could use all vanilla or all almond if you prefer.
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract or 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract, if you prefer
- 1 teaspoon water
- Mix powdered sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and almond extract together. In a separate bowl mix flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture, stir or mix well and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Divide dough into 2 halves and roll each half 3/16ths in thick on lightly floured surface. Use cookie cutters to shape.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks and prepare frosting.
- Frosting tips:.
- Mix frosting ingredients together in a bowl, adding 1/4 tsps. of water if the frosting is too thick.
- Add 1/4 C of powdered sugar if frosting is too thin. Repeat until desired consistency is reached.
- To frost easily:.
- Make the initial batch of frosting, separating into smaller bowls if you wish to add different colors.
- Once the cookies are cooled, dunk the front of the cookie into the desired color of frosting and set on a wire rack to dry.
- Sprinkle or decorate with trimmings while the frosting is still wet.