Delicious sausage stuffing in a cored out onion. Looks so beautiful on the plate and tastes even better! The reason we call them "holiday" is because the only time you can justify eating like this is during the holidays!
- Peel and scoop out center of onions. Leaving a shell about 1/4 inch thick. Chop enough of the centers to make 3 cups.
- Blanch onion cases in boiling water for 5 minute Remove from water and let drain upside down.
- Sauté chopped onions in 1 stick butter.
- Add 1 lb sausage meat. Crumble and sauté until no longer pink.
- Soak 2 cups bread crumbs in 2/3 cups half and half. Squeeze half and half into the bread.
- Add soaked bread to sausage and onions.
- Simmer stuffing, stirring for 5 minutes ans season with 1/2 cup chopped parsley, 1/2 tsp thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
- Season onion shells with salt and pepper and fill with stuffing.
- Arrange them in a shallow baking dish just large enough to hold them.
- Pour 1 1/2 cup beef broth and 1 cup dry white wine around the onions.
- Dot the onions with butter and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes, basting them a few times with the liquid.
- Transfer the onions to a serving dish. Reduce the liquid in a saucepan to at least half. Pour it over the onions and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
We love onions, so when I saw this it was a must make I cut the recipe by half but everything else was as the recipe directed and they were very nice. I think the next time I make them I will use maybe a salami sausage and Italian seasoning I think that would be nice also. Thank you for posting Made for PAC Spring 2011.