Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
An especially delightful baked squash. Try it....you'll love it!
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, cut into pieces but kept chilled
- 1 butternut squash
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (but not too small)
- 1 cup pure maple syrup
- Peel squash with vegetable peeler (this is the only hard part - I promise!). Cut squash in half lengthwise and remove seeds; cut into 1/2 inch half moon and crescent slices.
- Mix flour, brown sugar and allspice in medium bowl. Cut in the butter to make crumbs - do not overmix.
- Layer 1/2 of the sliced squash in a baking pan, mixing up the various sizes evenly. Original recipe specified an 11x7 inch pan, but I have used 9x13 inch, 8x8 inch or 3 quart square dishes, depending on the size of the squash.
- Top squash with 1/2 crumb mixture.
- Add remaining squash and sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Top with pecans and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Cover with foil and bake 1 hour.
- Remove foil; bake until squash is tender, about 10 minutes.