Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
Spiced peaches were a holiday meal staple when I was a child. They were available, canned, in the grocery stores during the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. I've not been able to find them for years, so I improvised my own recipe.This dish compliments a traditional turkey dinner.
- 29 ounces canned peach halves (I prefer Del Monte.)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 pinch allspice
- 2 -3 drops lemon juice
- Drain peaches and set aside.
- Combine all remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Simmer about 5 minutes.
- Add peaches and simmer about 5 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drain peaches and cool in refrigerator until time to serve.