Recipe by Mom2Rose
Gift jar directions at bottom of the recipe - add onto a recipe card and attach to the gift! Or skip the gift making and indulge yourself with this treat!! NOTE: This recipe is to be prepared one QUART size wide mouth canning jar and will yield 3 1/2 dozen cookies.
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon dried orange peel, ground
- 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup sugar
ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (to be added by the recipient)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Creating the Gift in a Jar:
- Wash and thoroughly dry a 1-quart wide-mouth canning jar.
- Layer the ingredients in the jar as listed above starting with the flour, baking soda, orange peel, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, brown sugar and then the sugar - make sure to press firmly with a flat bottomed object after each addition; make the layers as level as possible.
- Secure the lid and decorate as desired; attach the instructions for making these cookies found below.
- HOLIDAY SPICE COOKIES GIFT TAG:
- Additional ingredients to be added by the recipient: 1/2 cup honey, 1/4 cup butter, softened, 1 egg and 2 tbsp milk.
- COOKIE INSTRUCTIONS:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, blend the honey, butter, egg and milk.
- Add the contents of the jar, and stir until well mixed.
- Drop the dough by heaping teaspoonfuls onto an ungreased baking sheet, spacing the cookies about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are light brown in color.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks and cool completely.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.