Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a good casserole recipe I got from my mother. Sauteing the onions, green peppers and mushrooms in bacon grease is what gives this a special flavor.
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3⁄4 cup minced green pepper
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, chopped up
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 8 ounces cooked spaghetti (boiled, drained, hot)
- 8 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove from pan and drain.
- In the bacon grease, fry the onion, green pepper and mushrooms.
- Add the hamburger and cook until brown.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, sugar and spaghetti.
- Pour into a greased 1 quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and parsley.
This made for a comfort food meal. I had questions with the suggested amount of spaghetti. Eight ozs of cooked pasta didn't seem like it would make 8 servings. I guesstimated and also cut back the sugar to 1 teaspoon and the salt by half (personal preference). The dish is easy to prepare and I liked the flexibility of making it and then baking it later. Made for the Pick A Chef Spring 2014
This made a good tasty dinner for us. The spaghetti amt is confusing I made it as take 8 ounces and cook it. It would not fit in a 1 QT pan. We put it in a 3 QT pan with room left. My son thought it should be 8 ounces when it is cooked. Made for the Orphanage Spring 2014.