Recipe by BlondeChick80
I made this one year with my mom after I graduated college. We had a grand ol' time. She found this recipe in one of the local newspapers. I made these with my 3 year old last year and he had a blast rolling the dough in the sprinkles. The Yield indicated is a guess, because I forgot exactly how many it makes.
- 2 teaspoons red sugar crystals
- 2 teaspoons green sugar crystals
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, divided in half
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- drained maraschino cherry, cut up (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1/2 of cinnamon with each red and green sugar crystals in small dishes. Set aside.
- Beat in large bowl the sugar, shortening, butter and 2 eggs on medium speed until well mixed.
- sift together, flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt. Add to wet mixture. Mix well.
- Roll dough into little balls approx 1 inch in diameter, and roll into sugars, one color on each side. Place onto cookie sheet.
- Drained cherries can be placed on top of the balls. (Cherries may need to be patted dry before placing on the dough).
- Bake on cookie sheet in preheated 400 degree F oven for 8- 10 minutes. Cool on racks.