Recipe by - Carla -
We always have a lot of people visiting during the holiday season and it's always nice to have a little something homemade on hand to offer. This bread is nice to give away as gifts during the holidays. Delicious plain, with butter or with cream cheese (<-- my personal favorite). Thank you mom for this recipe. :)
Top Review by Gail Thombley
This is a wonderful holiday bread. I make it every year and give some of the loaves to my close friends and neighbors who look forward to this special treat. It is especially delicious served with a hot cup of Christmas tea.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed (if possible)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 2 cups fresh cranberries, halved
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and soda into large bowl and set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons melted butter to 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Add beaten egg to orange mixture and add to dry ingredients.
- Mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in chopped nuts and cranberries.
- Turn into (greased and floured) 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes to 1 hour.
- Let stand 24 hours before slicing.
- This recipe freezes very well - I usually wrap first in Saran Wrap, then wrap it in aluminum foil and then place in zip-lock bags - I generally take out of the freezer the night before serving, if possible.
- Delicious plain or with butter or cream cheese spread on it.