Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Festive holiday sangria
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 12 cloves
- 12 allspice berries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- inch-thick slices fresh ginger, lightly crushed
- 1 orange, zest of, removed with vegetable peeler in 1-inch-wide strips
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 750 ml full-bodied red wine (Syrah)
- orange slice, for garnish
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the sugar, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice berries, fenugreek seeds, crushed ginger and orange zest.
- Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat and simmer the syrup for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the syrup steep for 25 minutes.
- Add the orange juice, then strain the syrup into a medium bowl. Wipe out the saucepan, add the red wine and spiced syrup and heat until simmering.
- Carefully pour the spiced wine into heatproof glasses, garnish the glasses with orange slices and serve the punch warm.