Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
An unusual and colorful Italian holiday salad from Giada De Laurentiis, of the show "Everyday Italian." On the show she used either the cranberries or the pomegranate, but I think it's good with both!
- 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar, to taste (optional)
- 5 heads Belgian endive, ends trimmed and cut into 1 inch circles
- 1 medium green apple, peeled,cored,and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 lemon, additional
- 1⁄4 lb gruyere cheese, rind removed and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 small pomegranate, seeded,rinsed,and patted dry (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup thawed frozen corn kernels or 1⁄2 ear of corn, cooked and kernels removed
- Juice the 2 lemons into a small boil, then add salt, pepper, olive oil, and balsamic (optional, Giada's recipe didn't include it but my version does, how much you use depends on the grade/strength of your balsamic) and whisk together to make the dressing; set aside.
- Get a large, decorative serving bowl and put the prepared endive, apple, and avocado into it.
- Squeeze the juice from the additional 1/2 lemon over the endive, apple, and avocado and toss well- this will keep them from turning brown.
- Add the cheese, cranberries, pomegranate seeds (if using), and corn.
- Just before serving, whisk the dressing again then pour it over the salad and toss to coat.