Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
With a number of diabetics in my husband's family I started serving a green salad at holiday meals to feed the low-carbers. It turned out that everyone enjoys this combination of harvest flavors as a complement to the heavy, starchy traditional Thanksgiving and Christmas sides. It serves a crowd but the quantities are easily adjusted.
- 1⁄2 head curly endive lettuce, chopped
- 1⁄2 head escarole, chopped
- 1⁄2 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 cups apples, coarsely chopped and sprinkled with lemon juice
- 1 cup celery heart, thinly sliced
- 1 cup walnuts (optional) or 1 cup pecans, coarsely broken (optional)
- 1 cup dried sweetened cranberries (optional)
- Toss together all ingredients.
- Serve with a dressing that suits your family's tastes. I like a balsamic vinaigrette or a vinaigrette made with cider vinegar, crumbled bacon, and finely minced sweet onion. But when serving a crowd best offer an assortment.