Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is the perfect bread recipe to bake for Christmas! No more fruitcake! lol. 8)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup eggnog
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease only the bottom of a 9x5 loaf pan (or three 5 3/4 x 3 1/4 inch loaf pans). In a large bow beat the eggs.
- Blend in sugar, eggnog, butter, rum extract and vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, stirring to combine.
- Mix into the eggnog mixture; stir just enough to moisten the dry ingredients.
- Pour the batter into pan(s).
- If baking bread in large pan, bake 40-60 minutes, or until a tester in the center comes out clean.
- If baking the breads in the smaller pans, bake 35-40 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes, then remove from pan.
- Cool breads completely, then wrap tightly. Keep in the refrigerator.
this was good, but I guess I was expecting more flavor, based on the other reviews. The instructions never did say WHEN to add the eggs, but as long as they get in the batter, I guess it does not matter. I found this bread to be somewhat bland, and think it needs more rum extract, or perhaps the real thing!!! I also added dried cherries, which made it look festive, and did add a little more flavor. I will be making it again, only adding my own "twists" to it.
I made this Sunday because I was in the Christmas spirit..I would increase the nutmeg a bit next time but overall, a yummy bread that gets better with sitting in the fridge..
Lovely bread with great flavor. I added some pecans, plumped raisins, and dried cherries, and upped the nutmeg a bit too. I'm making another loaf tonight!