Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe is from Voskos Yogurt.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 lemon, juice and rind of
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- confectioners' sugar
- 1 (11 ounce) can condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 cup of voskos Greek yogurt (plain)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Beat the 5 egg yolks together with the sugar, salt, and lemon juice and rind until thick and lemon-colored.
- Stir in the flour.
- In a separate bowl, beat the 5 egg whites until stiff, then gently fold into the batter.
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-inch square cake pans and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Make the filling: in a saucepan blend the soup, yogurt, sugar, cornstarch, rum, and vanilla; cook over low heat until thickened.
- Pour some of the yogurt mixture into the 3 egg yolks, mix until smooth, and then return to the heat and cook until thickened.
- Remove, cover with waxed paper, and cool to room temperature.
- When ready to assemble, cut each of the cake layers in half horizontally and spread the filling between the layers.
- Stack and top with confectioner’s sugar.