Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
A light tasty rice side dish that can be served on any occassion. Had this recipe for a couple of years and use it regularly.
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, sliced into wedges
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2⁄3 cup champignon mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- Combine rice and broth in saucepan and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender and broth absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and add onions and sugar.
- Saute until butter is absorbed and onion is translucent and soft.
- Lower heat and cook onions for another 15 minutes or until they are caramelised.
- Stir in cranberries and mushrooms.
- Cover skillet and cook for 10 minutes until cranberries soften and swell.
- Stir in nuts and orange zest, then fold into the cooked rice.
- Add salt to taste.
Wonderful compliment to our Christmas dinner and looked as great as tasted - thank you so much and Merry Christmas!