Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love these from the bakery but this recipe sounds easy for a novice baker. I tore it out of a magazine which describes these as "little Italian cakes." You will need 3, 11x7-inch, baking pans for this.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup butter, 2 sticks, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 drops red food coloring, may need more
- 3 drops green food coloring, may need more
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam, seedless, divided
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- Beat the eggs with the sugar until the mixture is pale yellow; this will take several minutes.
- Incorporate the flour thoroughly and then add the melted butter.
- Add the almond extract.
- Take off two, 1 cup portions of the batter so that you now have three thirds. In other words, divide the batter into 3 equal portions which should be approximately 1 cup each.
- To one portion, add a few drops of red food coloring.
- To the second portion, add a few drops of green food coloring.
- One portion will remain yellow.
- Pour each portion of batter into it's own greased and floured 11 X 7 inch baking pan.
- You will have one with green, one with pink and one with yellow batter.
- Bake these in a 350 degree F. oven for 12 minutes, or until the cake starts to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and cool to room temperature.
- Turn the red cake onto a cutting board and spread half the jam (1/4 cup) on top.
- Place the yellow layer of cake on top of the jam coated pink cake and spread the other 1/4 cup of jam on top of that yellow layer.
- Finally place the green layer on top of the yellow layer.
- Melt 3 oz. of the chocolate with 1/2 tablespoon oil in the microwave for about 30 to 60 seconds and stir to combine.
- Spread on top of the green cake layer and refrigerate until firm.
- Now melt the remaining chocolate and oil the same way and spread on the red cake layer which you've placed side up toward you. The cake has the green side coated with chocolate facing down.
- Refrigerate until firm.
- Cut into 1 inch squares and serve. * You can keep the ends that you trimmed off of the four outer sides before cutting the cake into squares.
I just made them and it was super easy. I did replace the raspberry jam with strawberry due to an allergy. But they were still awesome. You do need some time for the chocolate to firm up. I would definitely make them again. Totally Awesome!!!!!