Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a little lighter and tastier than the traditional fruit cake. This cake from a very old cook book of my grandmother's.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced citron
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts
- Cream shortening and add the sugar slowly, beating in well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and add the sifted dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Stir in citron and nuts.
- Bake in 2 regular sized greased loaf pans at 325* for 1 hour.