Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 9 inch cake layers, cooled
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 package red gelatin
- 1 package lime gelatin
- 12 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- Place cake layers, top side up, in two 9" round cake pans.
- Pierce cake with large fork at 1/2" intervals.
- Stir 1 cup of the boiling water into each flavor gelatin in seperate bowls 2 minutes or until completely dissolved.
- Carefully pour red gelatin over 1 cake layer and lime gelatin over the other. Refrigerate 3 hours.
- Dip 1 cake pan in warm water 10 seconds; unmold onto serving plate.
- Spread with about 1 cup of the Cool Whip.
- Unmold second cake layer; place on first cake layer.
- Frost with remaining Cool Whip.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
Thanks for posting this here! I couldn't find it anywhere online. I made this cake last night as a test for next week's Christmas cake. I used golden butter cake mix and 2 pkg of unflavored gelatin. Then I added a few drops of food coloring to the gelatin so that I could do the pretty colors without changing the flavor of the cake. Mixed 1 pkg of vanilla flavored pudding mix with 16 oz. of Cool-Whip to make the whipped topping more stabilized. Came out fantastic!
Oh yum. I made this for our St. Patrick's Day meal, only I used only the lime jello. This was HUGE hit with my family. I remember having this cake when I was a girl, only I had forgotten about it. Thank you for the reminder, we loved it and the kids are already asking for it again.
Cool idea! Tastes super, too.