3 hrs 15 mins
The Southern Lady's Note:
These spicy German Christmas cookies or “peppernuts” are actually made with black pepper in the recipe and rolled in powdered sugar. The cookies should be stored in an airtight container for several days before eating until they soften. They are soft when removed from the oven, get hard as they cool off and then soften again over time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup molasses (I used sorghum molasses)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 cup confectionery sugar (more if needed)
- 1Combine butter, honey and molasses in a pot and melt over low heat on the stove. Do not boil! Remove from heat and let cool.
- 2Beat eggs and anise extract together and stir into honey mixture.
- 3In a large mixing bowl add the flour, sugars, spices and salt and mix together well with a spoon.
- 4Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir till makes a stiff dough.
- 5Chill about 3 hours in the refrigerator.
- 6Remove from refrigerator and roll into small balls with your hands or you can cut some of the dough with cookie cutters. (I did some both ways. I made some bite sized ones for my grandson and several different sizes) The dough is easy to work once it comes out of the fridge.
- 7Place on sprayed or greased cookie sheets.
- 8Bake in preheated 325 degree oven 15 minutes.
- 9Remove from pan and let cool.
- 10Roll in confectionery sugar.
- 11Store in airtight container and allow to sit for a couple days before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Pfeffernusse Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 137.5
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 18.5 mg
- Sodium 92.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 1.6 g