Recipe by Barb G.
If persimmons are not ripe, place the fruit in the freezer ovenight or longer. Thaw at room temperature and use. This recipe comes from the Napa Valley.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup very ripe persimmon, mashed
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup dates or 1 cup raisins (or both mixed)
- 1 cup walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dry ingredients, except dates and nuts.
- In another bowl, place mashed persimmons and add milk,lemon juice,and vanilla,and mix.
- Combine the two mixtures.
- When well blended add the butter and dates.
- Mix to distribute,but,do not overmix.
- Pour batter into a buttered 8x8x2 inch cake pan.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven 50 to 60 minutes,or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- The edges should be rather crusty.
- Good served with whipped cream.