Recipe by Salsareina
I won a holiday cookie contest 20 years ago with this recipe given to me by a good friend. It has been a family favorite and a regular in our Christmas cookie line-up. The dough has a soft texture and is not too sweet.
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 egg yolks, reserving whites
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough, cream the butter, sugar, corn syrup and egg yolks. Stir in flour gradually to mix. Chill 1 hour.
- For the filling, combine confectioners' sugar, butter and and dark corn syrup in a saucepan. Cook over medium high heat until mixture comes to a full boil. Cook for two minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Mixture thickens when cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make walnut size balls of dough and place on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Brush with reserved egg white. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and press 1/2 teaspoon of pecan filling into center of each partially baked cookie. This is easiest to do using your fingers. Return to oven for 5 more minutes. Cool for 3 minutes on baking sheet then remove to cooling rack.