Recipe by Debber
Such pretty colors freckling the buffet or picnic table, with this salsa in the starring role! An easy-to-put-together QUICK little number that will tingle the taste buds with its perky piquant flavor combination. My mother didn't know my four brothers and I were throwing her a surprise party to celebrate her 75th birthday on December 25th (2009), but she had a slew of stuff already prepared for what she thought was a smaller Christmas party. My sis-in-law (Kim) shared this recipe with Ma, and she passed it along to me, so this is truly a family favorite--and my Dear Hubby (who usually doesn't like bean salads with vinegary-oil dressings) loved this concoction...AND my Dear Son-the-onion-hater actually thought this was pretty decent, too (even if he "had" to pick out the onjens/onions!). PREP time includes cooling time for the dressing and a 24 hour marinating period for the beans. PLAN AHEAD!!! Ma tells me that this "lasts forever" with the vinegar in there, and she added salt; I also thought it might be good to add some cilantro or a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
The Bean Part
- 1 (14 ounce) can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) canblack-eyed beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (11 ounce) can white shoepeg corn, drained
- bell pepper, red, chopped (one pepper)
- 1 onion, red, chopped
- 3 -6 scallions, thinly sliced (include green part, too)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dressing: mix Dressing Ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil, remove from heart. Cool to room temperature.
- Dump all the "Bean Part" ingredients into a large plastic bowl, pour the cooled dressing over, stir and cover.
- Allow mixture to marinate for 24 hours, stir every so often OR gently shake the covered bowl.
- Drain, spoon into a serving dish, and serve with tortilla chips.
- BRILLIANT IDEA: this is good with the tortilla chips, but it also makes a delightful serving of "beans" for a picnic or for someone's lunch.
- LEFTOVERS are even better!