Recipe by chia
perfect for rosh hashanah for a sweet year, from today's NY times.
Top Review by micetastenice
I also made this with fig preserves. However, I didn't have enough and am trying to clean out the fridge, so I subbed in my half-tub of lotus seed paste, which didn't really come through taste-wise but gives a rich mouth feel (along with all the butter). I also subbed chopped dried figs for the pecans, and ran out of AP flour so about a cup was whole wheat. It really didn't affect texture at all - this was really, really tasty.
- vegetable oil or nonstick cooking spray, for pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for pan
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups one 18-ounce jar seedless blackberry preserves
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease and flour a 10-inch-by-4-inch tube pan. In a large bowl, stir together 3 cups flour, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and salt. Pour buttermilk into 2-cup glass measure or bowl. Stir in baking soda and set aside; it will foam slightly.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat butter until creamy. Gradually beat in sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- With mixer at low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until just blended. Beat in preserves and pecans until just mixed, then finish mixing by hand with a spatula.
- Scrape batter into pan and smooth top. Bake until cake is springy to the touch and shrinks from sides, and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean, 65 to 70 minutes. (If baking as holiday gifts, pour into three smaller pans and begin checking for doneness after 30 minutes.).
- Transfer to wire rack and cool completely in pan. To remove from pan, run a knife or thin spatula around the edges and center tube. Turn cake onto plate and lift off pan. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar before serving.