Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
don't be put off by the long list of ingredients, this recipe is really adaptable to your personal taste, or what you have on hand. this makes 1 bundt or tube cake, 2 loaves, or 1 13x9" sheet cake.
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup warm coffee or 1 cup strong tea or 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup whiskey or 1⁄4 cup extra coffee or 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- preheat oven to 350.
- grease the pan you're using and add parchment paper, greased.
- mix flour and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl.
- make a well in the center.
- add the oil and the next 8 ingredients, mixing well.
- spoon into prepared pan and sprinkle with almonds.
- place pan on a baking sheet to ensure even cooking.
- bake 60-80 minutes for a tube or bundt cake, 45-55 minutes for loaf pans or 40-45 minutes for a sheet cake.
- let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes, before removing. cool completely on wire rack.
Very easy cake to make, extremely delicious and superbly moist, i made half the recipe but wish i made the whole of it because the cake only lasted two days. I made it in a casserole dish, it was just the right amount however the temperature was too high - it nearly burnt the top whilst the middle was complete liquid, but that problem is easily fixed by putting it on a very low heat.
This was fantastic! I made 24 mini cakes with the wilton "mini wonder mold" for my sisters winnie the pooh themed baby shower (to make perfect little bee hives). I used a powdered sugar glaze and little candy bees. The guests couldn't get enough. Thanks so much.
I love honey cakes and I wanted to try this cake to use up some whiskey I had in the cupboard. What a delicious cake! You can taste a mere hint of whiskey in the finished product, just enough to make you sit up and ask, "What is that flavouring?" I baked it in a 9" x 13" pan but I like that it can also be baked as loaves; so handy when I want to bring treats to work or just put away something in the freezer for just in case visitors come unexpectedly. Thanks for sharing, Chia!