Recipe by tkitt72
I love this recipe because of its variety of healthy and delicious ingredients. I adapted it from a recipe I found in a Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and like to make it for Thanksgiving and Christmas family dinners.
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet onions or 1 medium sweet onion
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 (6 ounce) boxes seasoned stuffing mix (used StoveTop Cranberry or Savory Herbs)
- 3 cups chopped apples (used Red Delicious)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup honey crunch wheat germ
- 14 ounces chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet cook carrots, celery, and onion in hot butter or margarine until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in nutmeg.
- In a very large bowl combine Stovetop Stuffing mix, apples, walnuts, and wheat germ; add carrot mixture. Drizzle with enough broth to moisten, tossing lightly to combine.
- Place stuffing in an 11 x 9 pan. Bake, covered, in a 325 F oven 40-45 minutes or until heated through.