Prep 3 hrs
Cook 10 mins
Don't limit yourself to the holidays, these cookies are good for all year round.
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup packaged sweetened coconut
- 1 cup pecans, chopped coarsely
- 1 cup gumdrop, cut into pieces
- Cream the butter, margarine and sugar together in a mixer.
- Add vanilla, and the eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the sifted flour to the butter and egg mixture and mix well.
- By hand, stir in the coconut flakes, chopped pecans, oatmeal and sliced gumdrops until just mixed.
- Refrigerate the dough until it is well-chilled (at least 3 hours).
- Note: This will help the cookies keep their shape.
- Once the dough is chilled, pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Take about 1 heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball.
- Place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet about 6 inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until light brown.
EVERYBODY loved these cookies. I took them to work and the guys inhaled them. My mom served them at a class meeting and they all liked them... then she took them to the gals at the bowling alley and they loved them, too. So.. this recipe is for sure a keeper. Thank you. I found that I didn't have to put them so far apart on the cookie sheet as they didn't spread out very much. I'll certainly add these to my holiday cookie list.