Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These may be made up to five days ahead and stored in an airtight container. I purchase my crystallized ginger in a bulk spice store, but any major grocery store such as Safeway should sell it. Plan ahead the dough needs to chill for a minumum of 1 hour. These cookies are really good!
- 2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons ginger powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped finely
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, well packed
- 1⁄2 cup Crisco shortening, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup light molasses
- sugar, for coating
- Lightly butter one or two baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, combine the first 7 dry ingredients.
- Mix in the crystallized ginger.
- With an electric mixer beat in brown sugar, shortening and butter until light an fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add in egg and molasses; beat until blended.
- Add in flour mixture and mix until just blended.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Place about 1/2 cup or more sugar into a bowl.
- Form dough into about 1-1/4-inch balls; roll in the sugar to coat completely.
- Place the balls onto prepared sheet/s, spacing about 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies crack on top, but are still soft to touch.
- Cool on sheets about 1 minute.
- Carefully transfer to racks to cool.
Loved these cookies! My DM's favorite kind of cookie, so of course I had to make them for her! What a wonderful cookie to add to the Christmas Basket I gave her! She was thrilled! Thank you Kitt! Made for KK's Cookie of the Day Event
OMG, these are my new favorite cookie. Please be SURE the dough is well chilled AND re-chill the balls before baking or it all flattens out, lol. These are the best tasting morsels ever! Thanks Kitz & Merry Christmas!