Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of the best recipes I have!! I can't wait to make it for Christmas! It is such a cozy, special cake!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Set mixture aside.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar on medium speed in large mixing bowl until creamy (1-2 minutes).
- Add egg; continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce the speed to low, continue beating, alternately adding flour mixture with molasses and 1 cup water.
- Beating after each addition only until blended.
- Pour the batter into 13x9-inch baking pan; sprinkle with 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups hot water and 1/3 cup melted butter in medium bowl.
- Carefully, pour over top of batter.
- Bake 40-55 minutes or until gingerbread is cracked on top and toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.
EXCELLENT cake! Love the flavor and the texture! I don't think I've ever made a pudding cake before- pouring all that liquid on the top?! The baked result, with its thick gooey bottom, is wonderful! Serve it warm- if you serve it cold it is just extremely moist cake.
Awesome cake! I made 1/4 of the recipe in a 6" round pan, and it turned out very good. The one change I made was to use earl grey tea infused with orange zest, instead of water in the cake batter. I think it adds to the complexity of flavors already present in the cake from the spices and molasses. I would strongly suggest serving this slightly warm with either spiced whipped cream or ice cream - it takes this cake to another level. Thanks Ocean~Ivy, for posting this wonderful recipe.
I literally cannot say enough about this cake! Was a little nervous as there haven't been 100 reviews on it and I was serving for Christmas dinner. (For me this is taking a chance!) But I could not have been happier with the result. We served warm with some ice cream and real whipped cream. Unbelievable. Wish we had room after Christmas dinner for more! This will be a
Christmas tradition, I'm sure.