This is one of the best recipes I have!! I can't wait to make it for Christmas! It is such a cozy, special cake!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, salt, allspice and nutmeg in medium bowl.
- Set mixture aside.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and sugar on medium speed in large mixing bowl until creamy (1-2 minutes).
- Add egg; continue beating until well mixed.
- Reduce the speed to low, continue beating, alternately adding flour mixture with molasses and 1 cup water.
- Beating after each addition only until blended.
- Pour the batter into 13x9-inch baking pan; sprinkle with 3/4 cup brown sugar.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups hot water and 1/3 cup melted butter in medium bowl.
- Carefully, pour over top of batter.
- Bake 40-55 minutes or until gingerbread is cracked on top and toothpick in center comes out clean.
- Serve warm, with ice cream if desired.