Recipe by Ocean~Ivy
This was a long one to type, but very much worth it! This recipe would make a wonderful gift for Christmas 8)
Top Review by Marysdottir
I've made these for many years and they are very popular. I dip them in melted white chocolate after they have cooled to make them pretty and even more delicious. I have no idea how much ginger is in 4 pieces but I use about 1/2 cup of finely chopped candied ginger. In my oven it helps to bake them one sheet at a time because otherwise they get quite dark on the bottom during the first bake. I also think they are better if baked at 325 for a few minutes longer than suggested instead of 350 in my oven. They keep for ages in an airtight container. They are a must for our holiday celebrations. Addictive with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 1 cup almonds, blanched
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup molasses, dark
- 4 pieces candied ginger, minced fine
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place almonds into a 8 or 9-inch square pan; bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
- Coarsely chop almonds, set aside for now.
- In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat sugar, butter, molasses and ginger until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a bowl, stir flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspice and the almonds.
- Add into the egg mixture; stir to blend.
- On 2 greased 12x15-inch baking sheets with floured hands, pat dough into 4 flat loaves.
- Space evenly on sheets; each loaf about 1/2-inch thick, 2 inches wide and the length of the baking sheet.
- Bake until browned at edges and springy to the touch, about 25 minutes. Switch positions of pans halfway through baking.
- Let loaves stand on sheets until cool enough to touch, then cut into long, 1/2-inch thick diagonal slices.
- On baking sheets, arrange slices close together with cut side down.
- Return to oven bake 15 to 18 minutes longer; switch positions of pans halfway through baking.