Recipe by Kree
This is a fantastic gingerbread that also happens to be low-fat and dairy-free! I especially love the addition of crystallized ginger. This is another recipe from the superb Heather Van Vorous.
Top Review by LaurietheLibrarian
Yummy! I doubled the recipe and it rose up nice and high in my 9 x 13 inch pan. This was easy to make and delicious. I didn't have orange juice so I subbed with some lemon and water...same thing fo the egg beaters. I just measured out whole eggs. We will make this again!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice, strained
- 4 egg whites or 1⁄2 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons finely grated fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9" square baking pan with cooking oil and set aside.
- Whisk dry ingredients (flour through salt) with a metal whisk until thoroughly blended.
- Add the wet ingredients (molasses through vanilla) to the dry with a few swift strokes of a wooden spoon.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the gingerbread comes out clean.
- Cool on rack.