Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
No time to make a fruitcake for the holidays? This quick bar cookie will satisfy your cravings. This recipe combines the best of several recipes I’ve tried over the years.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1 cup candied fruit
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- Beat eggs with a mixer until they are golden yellow and doubled in volume – 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add in 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Take 2 tablespoons of flour mixture and stir in with candied fruit, nuts and currants, to keep fruit from clumping in the batter.
- Add the rest of the flour mix to the eggs and sugar.
- Fold fruit and nuts into batter.
- Spoon batter into a well greased 11" by 7" pan.
- Some years I use parchment paper instead.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Mix together rum and second cup of powdered sugar to make a glaze.
- Spread the icing onto the bars about 5 minutes after they’ve come out of the oven.
- Let bars cool and cut into bars.
These fruitcake bars were very good. My husband who is an avid fruitcake lover, enjoyed the taste, but felt the bar only tasted mildly like a fruitcake. I did not put the icing on the bar. I will still make the traditional fruitcake, but I am glad I found this recipe for an easy quick way to have something close to a fruitcake if even only mildly. Thanks for sharing.
This was very good. I'm the only one in the house that likes fruitcake, so I was anxious for something easy to do, that didn't cost a lot. I was a little disappointed at the first taste, as I thought it was a little on the dry side. However, the next day it seemed more moist. Each day it seemed to get better. Also, I only used half the amount of glaze called for, and found it quite nice. Needless to say.....they are all gone. Many thanks for a terrific recipe.
Wow, I love these bars alot. Easy to make I used rasins instead of currants. I also used ground pecans. Mine cooked in 25 minutes. Excellent idea instead of making traditional fruitcake. I am going to make this again. I made 2 batches one with the icing and one without. I prefer them without the icing. I think this is going to be the only recipe on my holiday goodie tray that doesnt have a ton of butter. Thanks Toni!!