This one is actually a very nice one. I drown it repeatedly with rum or brandy once a week from October on. It is so good by Xmas! Many of my friends love it and insist on having it every year. I post it here for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups mixed candied fruit (fruit cake mix, 12 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups candied pineapple (12 oz)
- 1 cup whole candied red cherries (8 oz)
- 1 cup whole green candied cherry (8 oz)
- 1 cup dried apple, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2 cups raisins or 2 cups currants
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Pour bourbon over combined fruits and nuts, cover and let stand for 2-3 hours.
- 2Preheat oven to 275°F.
- 3Measure remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- 4Stir a few times to incorporate, then beat on high for 3 minutes.
- 5Stir in drained fruit mixture.
- 6Keep the leftover bourbon for brushing the cake.
- 7Spread into evenly greased 12-cup fluted or angel food pan or 2 greased 6 cup fluted pans.
- 8Press mixture firmly into pan.
- 9Bake in preheated oven at 275°F for 3-3 1/2 hours (time for the 12 c pan), or until toothpick comes out clean.
- 10Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- 11Invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- 12Wrap tightly in Saran wrap and store dark and cool.
- 13If you like, brush with remaining bourbon once a week until Xmas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (1691 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6247.5
- Calories from Fat 2271
- Total Fat 252.4 g
- Saturated Fat 78.0 g
- Cholesterol 1301.5 mg
- Sodium 1838.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 962.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 60.1 g
- Sugars 653.0 g
- Protein 109.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed candied fruit
candied red cherries