Prep 3 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This one is actually a very nice one. I drown it repeatedly with rum or brandy once a week from October on. It is so good by Xmas! Many of my friends love it and insist on having it every year. I post it here for safekeeping.
- 1 1⁄2 cups mixed candied fruit (fruit cake mix, 12 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups candied pineapple (12 oz)
- 1 cup whole candied red cherries (8 oz)
- 1 cup whole green candied cherry (8 oz)
- 1 cup dried apple, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 2 cups raisins or 2 cups currants
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 5 eggs
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pour bourbon over combined fruits and nuts, cover and let stand for 2-3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Measure remaining ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir a few times to incorporate, then beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in drained fruit mixture.
- Keep the leftover bourbon for brushing the cake.
- Spread into evenly greased 12-cup fluted or angel food pan or 2 greased 6 cup fluted pans.
- Press mixture firmly into pan.
- Bake in preheated oven at 275°F for 3-3 1/2 hours (time for the 12 c pan), or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 20 minutes.
- Invert onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Wrap tightly in Saran wrap and store dark and cool.
- If you like, brush with remaining bourbon once a week until Xmas.
This is very close to a recipe my mom made. I skip the walnuts and substitute pecans ( just a personal preference) I also substitue a good bourbon for the rum or brandy. The cake is great and the memories it evokes are wonderful.