Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Easy, refreshing and colorful. Goes great with any Holiday meal. From TOH
- 3 (3 ounce) packagesstrawberry flavor gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen whole strawberries, sliced
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- in large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. slice bananas into gelatin mixture. add frozen strawberries and undrained crushed pineapple.
- reserve half of the mixture at room temerature. pour remaining mixture into 13x9-inch pan.
- refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
- in mixer bowl, beat cream cheese with sour cream and sugar, spread over chilled layer.
- gently spoon reserved gelatin mixture on top. refrigerate until firm, about 2 hours.
- cut into squares, serve on lettuce lined salad plates. garnish with additional pineapple and mint leaves if desired.
Very nice. Was looking for a refreshing summer dessert that didn't require much effort. Husband really liked it and I thought it was good too. One year old didn't complain either. I did switch things up a bit as I didn't have strawberry jello or the frozen berries. I subbed lime jello and a tropical fruit salad. Worked well with the bananas and pineapple. I thought about using some frozen mango but wasn't sure if the jello would set. The jello package doesn't list mango as one of the fresh/frozen fruits not to use, but I read elsewhere that it wouldn't work. I think it would be fun to vary the fruits and jello colors to match the holiday, like a red strawberry layer and a blue blueberry layer for patriotic holiday or and red layer and a green layer for Christmas, or an orange and a yellow for Thanksgiving, etc.
This is sooo good, thank you for sharing...I think jello salads are coming back and it`s about time