Recipe by isenwitt
This recipe came from my girl, Betty Crocker! The 2001 Christmas Cookbook. It is a great recipe and a lot easier than it sounds. Makes a nice rich, thick nog.
Top Review by lindabelle
This is a terrific safe-egg eggnog. I followed ingredients exactly (for a change) but did not serve warm. Instead i carefully cooked the eggs in 2 cups of the milk, removed from heat, added in the rest of the cold milk which stops the cooking and helps cool faster.Then cooled to room temperature then added just the vanilla and all the whipped cream mix to protect its flavor/texture from heat. Put in Fridge, and left the rum and nutmeg to each persons taste at serving time. Yum
- 3 eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup rum, if desired
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon of packed brown sugar
- ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix eggs, sugar, and salt in a 2 quart saucepan.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat 15-20 minutes, stirring constantly, just until the mixture coats a metal spoon; remove from heat.
- Stir in vanilla and rum.
- Keep warm.
- Just before serving, beat whipping cream and brown sugar in chilled small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff (also works by hand. just takes a lot longer) Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream into eggnog mixture.
- Pour eggnog int a small heatproof punch bowl or other container.
- Drop remaining whipped cream into 4 or 5 mounds onto eggnog.
- Sprinkle nutmeg on whipped cream mounds.
- Serve immediately.
- Cover and refrigerate any remaining eggnog.
- For hot cappuccino eggnog substitute the coffee liqueur for the rum and add 1 cup of hot espresso coffee.
- *Any strong coffee is good*.