great recipe that I wish I could take the credit for! I got it from Cook's Illustrated (#29) December 1997 issue. My farvorite issue of any cooking mag.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 large eggs, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup brandy or 1/2 cup Bourbon or 1/2 cup dark rum or 1/2 cup spiced rum (my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks (after chilled)
- 1Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt in heavy sauce pan (off heat).
- 2Stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition.
- 3Heat slowly over lowest possible heat until custard registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, thickens, and coats back of spoon.
- 425-30 minutes.
- 5Pour custard through sieve into a large bowl.
- 6stir in liquor, vanilla, grated nutmeg.
- 7cover with plastic and refrigerate until well chilled.
- 8Just before serving whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks and gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated.
- 9Serve in chilled cups and garnish with nutmeg.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holiday Eggnog
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 199.5
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 158.9 mg
- Sodium 121.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 6.3 g