Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
great recipe that I wish I could take the credit for! I got it from Cook's Illustrated (#29) December 1997 issue. My farvorite issue of any cooking mag.
- 6 large eggs, plus
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup brandy or 1⁄2 cup Bourbon or 1⁄2 cup dark rum or 1⁄2 cup spiced rum (my favorite)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated nutmeg, plus extra for garnish
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped to soft peaks (after chilled)
- Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar, and salt in heavy sauce pan (off heat).
- Stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Heat slowly over lowest possible heat until custard registers 160 degrees on instant read thermometer, thickens, and coats back of spoon.
- 25-30 minutes.
- Pour custard through sieve into a large bowl.
- stir in liquor, vanilla, grated nutmeg.
- cover with plastic and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Just before serving whip cream in medium bowl to very soft peaks and gently fold into custard mixture until incorporated.
- Serve in chilled cups and garnish with nutmeg.
I am addicted... cant... stop... drinking... Made without Rum I usually hate egg nog. I guess it just has to be homemade. Leftovers make a WONDERFUL ICE CREAM. Yummy
very good even without the rum
Soooo good! I used spiced rum and served it to friends I had over. Everyone really liked it. I ended up using skim milk and although I am sure it was not as thick as it might have been with whole milk, I thought it was amazing. Thanks for posting this!